Thursday, November 5, 2009

To turkey...or not to turkey?

So, my brother called me on the phone the other day and offered me a farm-fresh, home grown turkey for Thanksgiving. The catch is...it's still alive!
He is having a lot of fun giving the birds away, and watching each person react to his offer. My husband replied immediately, with no hesitation, "No!" My son-in-law said, "So I would have to kill it? Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....nah." My son, just recently home from a mission in Taiwan said, "Do we get to kill it ourselves?" I would love to have one, but the thought of killing it myself is not appetizing.
I went online to find out how to kill a turkey, because I haven't been involved in a poultry killing since I was a child, when a headless chicken escaped Dad's grip and chased Marla around the yard. She had nightmares for weeks.
There is a very "nice" video on youtube, showing the process from "lopping" to a family party afterwards, complete with music and credits. As well done as it was, it still doesn't hide the hideousness of the deed. Maybe we should just have ravioli.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I'll take your word on the YouTube video, I don't think I can stomach it!